Thursday, October 7, 2010

NaNoWriMo

So, last year, I participated in this writing even called NaNoWriMo.  That's National Novel Writing Month for those of you who don't know what the acronym stands for.  That is a competition where you write 50,000 words between 12:00:01 AM on November 1st and 11:59:59 PM on November 30th.

It's a really hard competition, really.  I spent most of my month a little behind when I scrapped my first go at it after day one.  That equated to being 1,667words behind.  That is not a good place to be, really.  I did catch up, and I managed to stay a bit ahead through most of the month.  I even finished three days early last year, though I felt like I nearly killed myself by doing that.  I did kill my muse by doing that, actually.  I had writer's burnout for months after that.

I'm thinking about doing it again this year, despite the fact that I have tests and several papers due in November.  It is debatable whether I am going to do it or not.  I'm thinking about taking a different approach and writing a series of unrelated multi-genre oneshots - one a day until I have the word count for the month.  I'm also thinking about starting one of my Robin Hood BBC fanfictions, Beauty Will Rise.  If I do that, then I would write whatever I could and try to finish Never Surrender, which is my current Robin Hood fanfiction, at the same time or try to finish that one, then start BWR and try to write oneshots while I'm doing that.

I really don't know.  I'm just playing around with ideas at the moment, and besides, I happen to have a history exam on November 1st.  Funny how that works.  I think I have a Bio test and a Chem test that month, too, as well as my Chemistry review paper and several English drafts...

Well, at least it's more than three weeks away and I can think about it while I'm writing my English essay and my paper on Frederick Douglass for History next weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment