Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Countdown: 2 Days

The past couple of days have really been sort of crazy.  Yesterday Mom took me shopping for a new dress - and we found one, for once, in the first store.  It's really pretty.  It's about knee length, all black, and it has sections of black glitter flowers.  And it has a jacket, too.  It's really prettier than I could describe it. 

Today, after going to get ice cream at the local ice cream shack, we went to this store that sells bags, jewelry, and other accessories.  Like watches.  Which I apparently needed.  Mom thinks the three I have that actually work (which happen to be collectible Star Wars watches from back when Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith came out - I have TPM (The Phantom Menace), RotS (Revenge of the Sith), and ESB (The Empire Strikes Back) plus their tins) are all ugly.  So, I got this pretty black-tinted silver watch with hearts as the links.  It's very pretty. 

I also got a crystal necklace and earrings to go with the dress, and a wallet/cell phone holder/bag/thing that's a pretty bronze-brown color. 

And Mom let me get fuzzy socks at the next store!  That just made my day.  Of course, all of the other stuff did, too.  It was just fun in general. 

It's been a long day, but a very good one.

Dad got me up at 5:30 to watch The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Extended Edition, disk one), and that was just wonderful.  I love Return of the King.  And The Two Towers...and The Fellowship of the Ring...okay, all of them.  I adore The Lord of the Rings in general.  I read the trilogy on vacation when I was twelve, and fell in love with the story and the characters then and there.

I've seen the movies a number of times, and it never gets old.  Ever.

The cast of the movies is fantastic, and the scripting brilliant for the most part.  There are a few errors here and there (such as Saruman's death in the cut scenes that were added to the extended edition, for example), but overall, they stick very close to the books, which is more than can be said for most major franchises that are based on books.  The Chronicles of Narnia, written my J.R.R. Tolkien's contemporary and friend C.S. Lewis being one example of such an instance.


Still, nothing can quite compare to watching the adventures of Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli (and every single one of the others, of course...it's just a mouthful to try to list all of the main characters).  The only thing that I can think of that comes close is Star Wars, and that's because I'm probably one of the biggest Star Wars nerds on the planet. 


That, however, is a story for another entry.  I'm off to have Mom's Chicken Fried Steak for dinner.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment