Friday, January 14, 2011

What Time in the Car Does...


I am such a nerd.  It’s one thing to have a Star Wars hoodie and Imperial Cog earrings (pictures forthcoming…eventually…), but it’s an entirely different thing to be wearing those and be rocking out to a song that is a reference to my childhood and people of my generation.  So, I’m sitting in the car on the way home wearing my Empire Strikes Back thermal hoodie and my Imperial Cog earrings…and my younger sister and I are singing along to the original Pokémon theme song that I have on my iTunes.  (I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.  To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause…)

Yes, I just admitted it.  While the pie chart I posted yesterday might not say so, but most people I know think Pokémon is entirely stupid.  Or that it’s evil.  I’ll make no comment on the latter because I don’t believe it.  I also disagree with the other comment – it’s actually not stupid.  And unlike some of the things it teaches to children actually mean something, unlike a lot of the television shows of this age. 

Ash is competitive and driven.  The whole series – all fourteen seasons and five generations as of yet – has a couple of overarching themes and lessons. 

First, never give up.  No matter how many times you get knocked down, get back up and work harder to get to the goal you’re trying to achieve.  You can do it and no one can stand in the way of your dreams.  Just keep trying.  You’ll get it someday.  You just have to work for it.

The second lesson is don’t ever take your friends for granted.  Your true friends will stand by you through everything, no matter what.  Even across distance and time, you can always rely on them.  You may not see them for a while, but if they are truly your friends, nothing will change that.

Those are two things that have stuck with me since I was little and Pokémon was all the rage.  When I was younger, it was the coolest thing ever.  Now, it’s not so much, but those of us who remember it still think it’s pretty cool for the most part.  Actually, a lot of kids still think that it’s awesome. 

I still have to say, though, in reference to the show…they never should have gotten rid of Misty or Brock…they were awesome…

“It’s a whole new world we live in, it’s a whole new way to see…it’s a whole new place, with a brand new attitude, but you still gotta catch ‘em all and be the best that you can be…” (Pokémon Johto theme song)

No comments:

Post a Comment